Thursday, January 13, 2011

Wit of Winston Churchill

Hi again,

Because I love history and politics I thought I would challenge myself and read a book about Winston Churchill's famous wit. Sir Winston's role in history is undeniable. He is known, to me, anyways to have given great speeches, and ruled Britain at a time when a strong leader was necessary.

What I didn't know was that Sir Winston was quite fond of himself and had a wicked sense of humour.

I enjoyed the book immensely as it gave me a better sense of who Winston was.

Some examples of his wit from the book:

-"My idea of a good dinner is, first to have good food, then discuss good food, and after this good food has been elaborately discussed, to discuss a good topic- with me as chief conversationalist."
-"I wonder what God thinks of the things His creatures have invented. Really, it's surprising He has allowed it - but then I suppose He has so many things to think of, not only us, but all His worlds. I wouldn't have his job for anything. Mine is hard enough, but his is much more difficult. And - umph- He can't even resign..."

Here is a short anecdote:
At a reception in Richmond, Virginia in the USA, his hostess, an ample lady, led WSC, the guest of honour, to the buffet table. When she offered him some cold chicken, he asked if he could have a breast. As she helped him to a particularly succulent looking piece his hostess informed him genteely that 'We southern ladies use the term "white meat"'.
The next day a corsage arrived for her- with the flowers was a card from Churchill on which he had written 'I would be most obliged if you would pin this on your "white meat" '.

He also provided some insight into life:
-"The worst quarrels only arise when both sides are equally in the right and in the wrong."
-"Too often the strong silent man is silent because he does not know what to say, and is reputed strong only because he has remained silent."
-"Difficulties mastered are opportunities won."

He was a very interesting person. I could read this book again when I need a laugh.

Thanks for reading.

In terms of what is upcoming, I have to take some courses for work in the next few days. I am hoping on completing these as soon as possible and then resuming my blog. I'll write back again as soon as I have completed another challenge.

Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment