Thursday, January 27, 2011

Challenge Failed - Dalai Lama

Hi,

Well, I couldn't do it. This is the first time I could not complete a challenge I attempted. I challenged myself to read the Dalai Lama's book "In My Own Words: An Introduction to My Teachings and Philosophy".

I was physically unable to read this book. Every time I picked it up to read I fell asleep. I cannot go ten pages into this book without falling asleep.

Within the first few pages of the book, the Dalai Lama's philosophy is clearly different from mine:
 
-"And this is why unpleasant events make news; compassionate activities are so much a part of daily life that they are taken for granted and, therefore, largely ignored."

-"... a truly compassionate attitude toward others does not change even if they behave negatively."

As for the first quote, I cannot fathom that this would be correct. The news exists in its present form because of our society's need to get to the facts quick. It also exists in its current state because the media likes to get ratings. In order to get ratings, scare tactics are often used.

As for the second quote, I have a compassionate attitude towards humans. I genuinely believe human nature tends to be good. This belief system still exists in myself despite enduring years of abuse and poverty and experiencing cancer first hand. Despite all of these experiences, I feel I can still have a compassionate attitude towards others. I think the thing the Dalai Lama fails to discuss within this section in the book is the consequences of others behaving negatively. Although I don't hate the individuals who have abused me, I certainly don't entertain them on a personal level and they have to understand there are consequences to their actions, just as there are to mine.

However, I do believe in the Dalai Lama's concept of Karma. I believe because I have seen it. What surprises me the most is that it does not always take several life times in order for Karma to take effect. I will not say much else as it is personal.

Thanks for reading.

Next challenges: A makeover and a trip to the Gun range.

Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment