Sunday, January 9, 2011

Kahlil Gibran's "The Prophet"

I just finished reading "The Prophet" by Kahlil Gibran. This book was more challenging for me to read. I like thinking in concrete terms, and this certainly was not concrete. However, I enjoyed the imagery the author used in trying to dole out his advice about life.

I was quite surprised actually at my reactions to this book. I thought I would enjoy it. However, I didn't really. I don't think Kahlil was a realist. I mean, it's fine to dream about loving everyone and living in utopia. However, the reality is: life sucks and there will always be people out there who try to make it tougher. Perhaps another read of this book at a later time, will provide more insight.

For now, I will leave some quotes from the book:

- On Giving : "See first that you yourself deserve to be a giver, and an instrument of giving. For in truth it is life that gives unto life - while you who deem yourself a giver, are but a witness."

-On Self Knowledge: "The soul walks not upon a line, neither does it grow like a reed. The soul unfolds itself, like a lotus of countless petals."

-On Pain: "Much of your pain is self chosen. It is the bitter portion by which the physician in you heals your sick self."

Next challenge: An interesting sushi treat.

Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment