Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Sushi Lunch

Hello,

Wow what a day. Between the snow, getting up early to catch the bus to attend a doctor's appointment and a last minute job interview, I barely had time for my sushi challenge.

Things I tried today:
-Sashimi (raw pieces of thinly cut fish): Not bad cold. The salmon they use is farmed, so not a lot of fish taste.
-Hokkigai (surf clam) sushi: One of the most disgusting things to eat. It's hard to chew.
-Saba (mackerel) sushi: This had a strong fish taste and was kind of mushy.
-Inari (cooked tofu) sushi: Kind of sweet and gushy. Not my favourite
-Tamago (cooked egg) sushi: Actually very mild tasting. Could eat again if had to.
-Oshinko roll (Japanese Pickle): Crunchy with a wasabi like taste. Not bad.
-Salmon cheek: This was grilled. It was from a farmed salmon and was the piece of salmon that connects to the gill plate. Not bad but could have used some lemon.
-Oyster Motoyaki (oyster and onion cooked in a cheese sauce): The oyster was not overpowering but chewy. Not my favourite.
-Unagi Don (cooked eel in rice with Japanese style barbecue sauce): One of the most disgusting things I have eaten. It was surprisingly bitter. Will never eat again.
-Shishamo Karaage (whole smelt including eyes and internal organs battered and deep fried): One of the most challenging things I had to eat today due to the sight of the fish. However, if one could get past that, edible and nicely spiced.
-Sanma (barbecued mackerel): Disgusting and it even included the internal organs! My husband removed the fish's liver, tail and eyes before I could even attempt to eat this. I will never ever eat this again.
-Scallop cone (raw scallop, mayonnaise, rolled into a cone with sushi rice): The scallops taste quite mild and have a very unique taste.
-Tako sunomono (pieces of octopus with a vinegar noodle salad): The octopus was quite chewy. Won't eat again.
-Crispy chicken skin (pieces of chicken skin after they have been deep fried): Hello heart attack!
-Chicken curry japanese style: Different. Not to be tried again.

Okay, so here's how I did it today: I went to an all you can eat sushi place where quality is not exactly a priority but the variety was amazing. I had little bites of everything. My husband has a stronger stomach than I do, so he finished what I couldn't. I also had things to eat that I don't mind mixed in so that I could eat something disgusting and follow it with something I didn't mind too much. It went a lot nicer that way.

Lessons learned: If you think you like some sushi before attempting this, don't analyze what you're eating and the possibilities of where it came from. Today I ate a female mackerel and let's just say I know it was a female. I don't think I can eat any sushi except vegetable rolls ever again. It is weird food!

Thanks for reading!

Lynn

Next challenge: Finishing a book about Winston Churchill and his wit

No comments:

Post a Comment