Friday, January 7, 2011

Walking on the Pier

Tonight I went for a walk on White Rock Pier. That may not be challenging to everyone, but to me I overcame something I never thought I could.

While out walking on the pier at night, I always had to walk in the very middle of the pier. To me, walking along the edge of the pier and looking over the edge have always been frightening. I am afraid of becoming disoriented and falling either over the edge or on the pier itself. Further, looking over the edge at night always made me face my fear of the unknown. I don't know how deep the ocean is there and I don't know how far down the water is from where I am. Both of these are terrifying to me when I'm totally in the dark.

So tonight, after supper, my husband and I went to the Pier for a walk. It was very stormy and the wind was causing quite a large number of waves with whitecaps on them. But I did it. I walked to the end of the pier and back on the edge and was even able to look at the whitecaps as they rolled in towards the pier! I was also able to walk on the lower pier near the sailboats and look over the edge at the bottom of the pier and the dark stormy waves as they rolled in. I enjoyed this evening very much and I can accomplish a lot more than I thought I could.

Next Challenge: finish reading Kahlil Gibran's "The Prophet"

Thanks for reading!

Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment