Friday, May 27, 2011

Relay For Life-Survivor's Victory Lap


It has been quite a day.
The funeral was in the early afternoon. Then, my girlfriend picked me up and we headed for Langley's Relay For Life.
I registered as a cancer survivor, got a free t-shirt and was able to walk one lap with all of the other survivors.
What an experience this was!
Although it was a little bit more of a challenge than I thought it was going to be! I don't like drawing attention to myself, and putting that t-shirt on made everyone who looked at me know instantly that I had had cancer. During the rest of my life, I only tell people that know me on a more personal level my struggles. Here, it was automatically out there. It was kind of unnerving.
As we made our way around the track, the announcer called out all of our names. They actually pronounced my name correctly.
Ultimately this challenge was so huge for me. I accepted that it's okay to put myself out there more, I have some great friends and I'm so much more stronger than I could have ever thought.

thanks for reading
Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment