Friday, May 27, 2011

Funeral and Internment

A few days ago one of my husband's relatives passed away. His name was Ernie and he was my husband's maternal grandfather's brother. He considered him to be like a great uncle.

I knew Ernie from church. When we were both at church together, he would save room for me and vice versa. When I first started attending church, he took me and my mother in law for breakfast afterwards. It was during these breakfasts and at church I got to know a little bit about him. He came to my confirmation last year.

He was a quiet, unassuming man. He never said a harsh word about or to anyone. He was also quite funny, but clearly missed his dearly departed wife.

Surprisingly, he passed away last week. This came as a complete shock. I will never forget being told he had passed. I was cleaning and my husband tapped me on the shoulder crying. I stopped doing the cleaning for the evening and just had to find out more. We went to visit my husband's family in order to hear the information first hand.

Ernie's funeral was quite nice. My favourite bible quote is psalm 23. This  quote was on his bulletin. My husband was the pall bearer. We got to go to the internment and watch the grounds crew lower the casket in. It was a very sad experience. However, I understand Ernie finally got what he wanted: to spend eternity next to his beloved wife Edna.

To Ernie: It was a pleasure to get to know you. I enjoyed sitting next to you in Church and having breakfast with you. I'm glad to know I will see you again one day. Only this time, breakfast will be on me!

Thanks for reading

Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment