Sunday, March 6, 2011

Eggplant Supper

What a weekend. Despite volunteering at an event for the majority of the weekend, I was also able to complete my courses in time and have an interesting supper.

I have never eaten eggplant. Because it is considered a super food, one that can prevent some forms of cancer (or so I've been told) I decided I should familiarize myself with this vegetable. I now know better but at least it didn't cost the bank this time.

My menu for tonight's dinner included:

Baba Ghanouj- I purchased this from the local grocery store. It's a roasted eggplant dip and spread with lots of garlic.

Magaricz- An Eggplant version of Italian Caponata (whatever that is). It's a veggie spread for bread, crackers or veggies. The recipe I used can be found here: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Magaricz/Detail.aspx

Easy Eggplant Pitas- Eggplant fajitas. The recipe I used can be found at: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Easy-Eggplant-Pita/Detail.aspx

Preparing the eggplant was an experience. The Magaricz recipe told me to peel the eggplant. I wasn't expecting the plant to go brown as I was peeling it. The texture of the plant itself is unlike anything I have ever worked with. To me it is kind of spongy and not that nice looking. It reminded me of a zucchini, another vegetable I hate.

The only thing I could eat was the Baba Ghanouj. The Magaricz was sweet and not an appetizing colour. I will say it reminded me of changing a young baby's diaper. I won't say anymore about this. The eggplant pitas weren't edible at all for me. However, the most surprising thing about this evening was my husbands reaction. I was expecting the worst. His philosophy about dinner is that there has to be meat included. Some animal has to have given it's life in order for him to eat. Tonight's dinner was vegan. He ate everything and even said that it wasn't that bad! I almost fell out of my chair!

In any case I won't be eating any of this again and I don't plan on ever picking up another eggplant.

Thanks for reading.

Lynn

In terms of the next challenge, I will have to play it by ear. I'm entering a busy volunteer season and need to keep all of my options open.

No comments:

Post a Comment