Saturday, July 9, 2011

Cooking with couscous

I have a potluck to attend this weekend. Because it's now summer, I decided to try and make a couscous salad.

I remember having a couscous salad made by my great aunt when I was younger and really liking it. My stepmother also used to make a curry couscous dish that I enjoyed. However, I have never made couscous myself.

Here is the recipe I used:

Mediterranean Couscous Salad

Ingredients

1 cup chicken broth
1 cup couscous, uncooked
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1 small cucumber, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup pitted black olives
1/3 cup thinly sliced red onions
1/2 cup Kraft Extra Virgin Olive Oil Sun-Dried Tomato Dressing, divided
3 cups torn romaine lettuce
 
Directions:
 

BRING broth to boil in medium saucepan. Add couscous; cover and remove from heat. Let stand 5 min.
MEANWHILE, combine tomatoes, cucumbers, olives and onions in large bowl. Add 6 Tbsp. of the dressing; toss to coat. Set aside. Fluff couscous with fork; stir in remaining 2 Tbsp. dressing.
COVER serving platter with lettuce; top with couscous and vegetable mixture

This is off of the kraftfoods.ca website.

While making this recipe I also added yellow pepper chunks with the tomato mixture. The couscous was so easy to cook with. The salad dressing added a nice touch as well.

I can't believe how nutty couscous tastes! I will have to start adding this into my regular diet more.

Thank-you for reading

Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment