Saturday, December 3, 2011

Pickling Herring -warning pictures attached!

It was once a tradition in both my husbands family and mine to make Pickled Herring each year. When I was young, a local radio station hosted a herring sale fundraiser to benefit children. About 6 years or so ago, this fundraiser was cancelled.

However, this year another group of fundraisers came together and offered the sale this weekend. My husband and father took advantage of this, making today an early start.

We picked up two 20 lb. bags before 7:00 this morning. By 10:30 all 40 lbs. of fish had been filleted and are now sitting in crocks waiting for either 2 or 3 weeks until the next round of preparation.

I have never filleted or gutted a fish before. I do not like blood. However, all of that changed today when I was faced with the daunting task of helping to clean 40 lbs! By the end I was like a seasoned pro.

However, the day was not without injury. About 1/2 hour in, I cut myself filleting one of my many fish. It's not that bad, but everytime I hit it, it bleeds.  Furhter, I halso hurt my hands cutting so many fish. I'm not used to holding a knife that long. However, I figure it is a small price to pay.

Here are some pictures:

My first fish of the day.


My last fish of the day
Thanks for reading

Lynn

December 17th: Today was the end of my pickled herring story. My family and I processed the fish into jars filled with brine, onions, and other spices. These should now be ready to eat in about one week. I am glad to be finished this as today was a task and a half. The longest things to wait for included rinsing the fish and waiting for the brine to cool once it had boiled. I am so grateful this is over! I am tired of smelling herring on my clothing. Here are some more pictures:

No comments:

Post a Comment