Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Roderick Haig Brown Park

I regularly volunteer with a salmon hatchery. I have been with the hatchery for over three years. When we went away a few days ago, I wanted to go and see the Adams River run. This river's Sockeye River run is legendary. When the sockeye run in October the river literally turns red with the spawning fish. It is quite the site to see.

I have wanted to go and see this run for the longest time. I guess you could say it was on my bucket list. We went to Roderick Haig Brown park to view the run. I have to say this park was far more run down than I had anticipated. There was a large amount of erosion on the banks of the river. So much in fact that the trail wasn't fixed and there were large sections of the park that were unaccessible due to the fact that the trail hasn't been fixed. It appears the best method of dealing with the erosion was simply to put a barrier up to make sure no one enters, rather than fix the bank.

In any case, a short walk to the river's edge produced a great viewing spot. I swear there was a red salmon every two feet in front of my eyes! I have never seen this many sockeye in one place before. It was truly amazing!

Here are some pictures:


Thanks for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment